Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I was wrong

The dang hawks are back and there is a little one in the nest. You can hear it cry. I went out today to dump gp bedding and heard it. Looked around, saw a parent drifting around up high on the breeze. I waved my arms to get its attention, and unbelievably, it stooped and came down straight at me to see what was up. I again waved my arms!!@! and said, you stop right there, missus! It stopped about treetop high right overhead (which is pretty high up for these pines), hovered for about two seconds and then took back to the heights. There is hawk poop all over the trampoline. (I never really figured it was gonna get me, but then I never really figured it would approach me at all. It is a bit unnerving to see something just a speck in the sky one moment bearing down on you until you can see its body parts.)

1 comment:

Gail said...

We have red tail hawks that make a nest up the driveway every year. I don't mind their calling so much unless it goes on all day, which it has on occasion. I did see one of them decimate the bluebird nest several years ago, getting take out for dinner I suppose. We have so many birds around our house that I can't distinguish the hawk poop from regular bird poop but the way they decorate the deck I think we must be feeding them to well. Never had a hawk swoop down on me or the cat, but I'm keeping a lookout now!