Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Watermelon


My days follow pretty much the same pattern: get up, check email, feed pigs, water pigs, go around with notebook to mark down which cages need cleaning, clean cages, vacuum floor. This takes up most of the morning. If I am lucky, I am done by noon. Afternoons are for errands and corresponding with fellow cavy enthusiasts. Yesterday I went to feed store to pick up 10 bales of pine shavings. They have a new feed person, so I discussed the trouble I have had with various feeds and wondering if we could get something worked out so that my feed which I order from Indiana could be freighted into their store, saving me big money on shipping costs. Right now, I get 400 pounds of feed at a time shipped UPS. The shipping is about two thirds of the cost, which is significant. It remains to be seen what can be worked out.


Today for a treat the pigs got watermelon. It is so funny to watch them draw back their lips from the cold melon while trying to sink their little teeth into it. And they slurp. When I give them lettuce and they are all crunching away on it, it sounds like rain. Right now I am about to start evening rounds, checking to see who is out of water or who might be by morning.


I have started watching the Sopranos on DVD (and it is also on A & E here I think it is). I am in the middle of season three. Had to skip over one DVD that couldn't be located at any of the stores,, but that doesn't seem to have messed up things- or maybe ignorance is bliss. Several months ago, I said I was working on a baby quilt. I am almost finished with it,, I will see the folks in August (yes, at a pig show) and will give it to them then. Kid will be almost a year old.
This is a trio of solid sows,, two are silver solids and the one on the left is a dilute(choc based) solid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, how many pigs total do you have?

Anonymous said...

p.s. I am awake this early because a "piggish" calico kitty woke me up to feed her.

Anonymous said...

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pigs- that includes babies. Numbers can drop down if pigs are not being bred and it can go up to about 130 if I have just gone thru a cycle of breeding. Everyone has their own name and tag and pedigree. I keep all my old retired breeders and show pigs. If you have worked for me, the least I can do is offer you a good home. Roughly 30-40 percent of my caviary would be considered retirees.

Anonymous said...

my piggies used to love almost all fruit and veggies i gave them. they really loved strawberries.

you should go on the show dirty jobs, sheila : )

jilly