Thursday, March 6, 2008

Can you say biddies?

I made a run to the Tractor Supply this morning for pig bedding and they had little chicks and ducklings for sale. It's been a few years- there was the uproar about Avian flu and so for awhile, they didn't sell anything, just gave you the number of the hatchery to order from and have them come to your mailbox. They had little bantams with fuzzy feet,, it was all I could do to not bring a few home,, had I been able to sex them I would have had a little pen in the backyard (covered of course because of the D'd hawks) and had me a little fresh egg factory in about 18 weeks. Don't ask me why, but I like chickens. I technically live in the county (with the city on every side) and so there is no proscription against livestock. My neighbors probably wouldn't say a thing either- over the years, being the only mom at home in the neighborhood, I have had the occassion to do lots of favors and lookout for lots of kids coming home from school- including picking kids up from car accidents, carrying kids to the ER for broken leg and driving child home who had been drinking and was smart enough to call and say- I need a ride home. I am the Chatelaine,, the keeper of keys for this section of my street. Anyhow, they don't say anything about my pigs nor my enormous compost heap, so likely they would just think it was another manifestation of my personality and hope for fresh eggs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HATE chickens. We had some awhile ago, and they were truly nasty loathsome creatures. Ducks on the otherhand - those were cool because they didn't get up and crap all over the porch. Though, the drake was mean as a snake and would chase the dogs.