Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Post that seems surreal

My mother's breast cancer has recurred. 20 years ago she had a modified radical mastectomy and had the right breast and a million lymph nodes removed (they weren't doing sentinel nodes at that time, they just took every lymphnode in your armpit that they could find). About 7-8 years ago, she got cancer in the other breast and had that one also removed. Six weeks ago she felt something strange above the scar on the right side, doctor was unable to feel it, but had her come back in a month and he thought maybe he could feel something. Anyhow, he went after some tissue and to his credit came up with the little tiny bit that is cancerous. Very small. So she is having a wide local excision next Wednesday. And radiation. And, I simply cannot get my mind around this. I thought she was home free on this issue. It's like the Grinch that stole Christmas.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheila, I'm really sorry to hear that. My aunt that I mentioned in a post on the community blog who had breast cancer in the early 80s (same as your mother, right breast, extensive lymph node involvement) had a reoccurence on the same side about 5 years ago. Surreal is a good word for it. She had to go through surgery, chemo, and radiation again but seems to be doing fine. She never had to deal with a left breast episode, though. My best wishes to your mother, you, and all of your family during this.

mavis sidebottom said...

I'm sorry sheila

Waltzing Matilda said...

Sheila, I'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

sheila,
i am sorry and saddened for this awful news. i hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel and wish you luck with dealing with this. some people just seem to get all the crap. i'll pray and hope that helps, it's all i can do.
love,
jilly

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

Sheila I wish you and your mom all the best...

Roger said...

Love to you both, Sheila. I've heard that God doesn't give us more than we can handle - sometimes, it gets awfully close, though.

R

Anonymous said...

Thank you all. Thoughts are prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sheila, so terribly sorry about your very sad and frightening news -- have been through all that with my Mom so have a bit of an idea what you might be feeling. All my best thoughts and wishes to your Mom, and to you, too.
Four

kellynbreesmom's, Just about Life said...

I do not know you but I will pray for your mom-I lost mine too soon -Denise