Sunday, October 7, 2007

SURPRISE!




Sometimes they fool you. We have been feeling this sow,, yeah, she's a little bit pregnant,, not due for awhile though. When I opened up the cage door this morning to feed,,look what greeted me! I moved them to a maternity tub to make sure they bond good to mom and not to dad (no grub there, son), or the other sow (that well is dry too!) I am wildly busy this week.. I leave for Michigan on Friday, will be gone at least a week I think. National Rabbit and Pig Show. I have five entries,, but the one sow that I was most hopeful for has turned up pregnant! This is a sow that has won one best in show and about three reserves and routinely kicks ass and takes names,, but is notoriously hard to settle. She had been living in peace with a boar for about six months,, no action,, so I pulled her from the breeding pen and put her by her lonesome. This past week,, she is very full,, and I could probably still show her, but these pups are more important than any award she might get,, so she stays home. I do have a replacement for her,, but side by side, a poor substitute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck at your show and with the babies.

jilly

Anonymous said...

Amazing how strange life is. You just lost some babies and now new ones appear. Good luck at the show.

Ann

Roger said...

I know absolutely nothing about pigs, and learn interesting stuff every time I visit.
R

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

awww they are adorable.. lovely markings