Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Squirrels and their boxes



In the first picture you can just make out Mama squirrel stretched out on the top of her nest box. I was hoping you could see the other box down farther in the yard in the second picture, but no such luck. We have four boxes in our backyard and have had squirrels, flying squirrels, screech owls and probably other unknowns nest in the boxes. In the top of the tree with the nest box, there is a red-tailed hawk's nest. Been coming back to the same nest for three years. Lord, what screeching goes on from them from the moment that nestling hatches until it fledges (this year only one, last year three). I threaten every year to cut down the tree. They turn the ground around the base of the tree white with their excrement- and let me tell you- we walk a wide swath around it when they are nesting. Those hawks put their little vents up to the edge of the nest and SQUIRT! They might do well in a tobacco spitting contest if allowed to use their rear ends. I tried to get a picture today of a young bluebird. I used the last of our mealworms trying to coax it in to a point where I could get a decent shot. I need to go to the bird store and get some more worms. I think 1000 of them are only 12 bucks or so. Cheap entertainment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i had trees in my yard, i'd have bird houses and feeders up. instead, they nest in my porch, and their nests are pulled down once a week.

jilly

UrbanStarGazer said...

I hate squirrels.

Anonymous said...

wow, Sheila -- squirrel nesting boxes -- what a great idea! Am going to get some scraps from F.'s shop and make a few. Never occurred to me they might like a box. Have put up several bird houses in the new garden, but guess it'll take a while till the birds catch onto the new real estate.
Good luck with you meal-worm-ploy -- hope to see pictures
:)